Saturday, March 24, 2007

Preparation for my final assignment - Part 1

My motive of assignment

When I prepared for constructing the framework of representation on my final assignment, I was browsing the internet and searching something insights from web-pages for my preliminary reference. Being an initial stage of information seeking,I have collected some thought and ideas, and they helped me to consider which topic that I would like to complete with my great interest. Firstly, I expected that it might be personalized in my life events since it could urge me to finish the assignment with a pleasure journey. However, I did not want the representation strayed far from the learning object with educational purpose. For my assignment, I hope it could have both personalized and educational components within my works and finally it would make me learn how to make representation with languages and imageries. As the dual coding theory proposed by Paivio attempted to give equal weight to verbal and non-verbal processing. Paivio (1986) stated: "Human cognition is unique in that it has become specialized for dealing simultaneously with language and with nonverbal objects and events. Moreover, the language system is peculiar in that it deals directly with linguistic input and output (in the form of speech or writing) while at the same time serving a symbolic function with respect to nonverbal objects, events, and behaviors.” (p 53). Therefore, I learnt from Paivio’s sayings that I must accommodate this dual functionality to present my works vividly. Lastly, I decided to create pages of traveling information that included one of my life events – Egypt Trip, which was my unforgotten wedding trip 3 years ago. I could use the photos and information about my traveling records and collect information with educational purposes. Not too much personalized materials, but I would like to make the representation to be interactive with text, photos, relevant web-links, music and etc.


One photo had been taken from Zoser's step-pyramid at Saqqarah. However, how I use this picture to demonstrate attractive learning object for my representation?



Interesting photo from Egypt, however, what type of theme or organizational plan to show this picure? Creating specific pages for collection of photos or something creative presentation?

Reference:

Paivio, A. (1986). Mental representations: A dual coding approach. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.

No comments: